About the Department

Mechanical Engineering activities at the Indian Institute of Science commenced prior to the Independence, in 1945, with the establishment of the Department of Internal Combustion Engineering. The Mechanical Engineering section of Power Engineering Department followed suit in 1951, and later became a full fledged Department. The Department of Internal Combustion Engineering merged with the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 1970. The classrooms, laboratories and offices of the department are located at the South-East end of the Campus in three buildings — the Power Engineering Building, the TPS Building and the New Mechanical Engineering Building.

Meet the Faculty
Ashitava Ghosal
Professor
B. Gurumoorthy
Professor
C. Dharuman
Scientific Officer
Dibakar Sen
Associate Professor
G.S.V.L. Narasimham
Chief Research Scientist
Gaurav Tomar
Assistant Professor
Jaywant H. Arakeri
Professor
M Himabindu
Scientific Officer
M. L. Munjal
Emeritus Professor
M. S. Bobji
Associate Professor
Namrata Gundiah
Assistant Professor
Pradip Dutta
Professor
Pramod Kumar
Assistant Professor
R V Ravikrishna
Professor
R. Narasimhan
Professor
R. Thirumaleswara Naik
Scientific Officer
Raghuram N. Govardhan
Associate Professor
Ratnesh K. Shukla
Assistant Professor
Rudra Pratap
Professor
S. Seshan
Emeritus Professor
Saptarshi Basu
Associate Professor
Satish Vasu Kailas
Professor
Udipi Shrinivasa
Emeritus Professor
Venkata R. Sonti
Associate Professor
Vijay H. Arakeri
Emeritus Professor
Vinod Srinivasan
Assistant Professor